Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

my imac apple is firmware locked,can you help please

edited September 2013 in General
my imac apple is firmware locked,can you help please,thanks,

Comments

• imac 2'1,late 2012
  • Hi! Please try the procedure outlined in my video below, and let me know if it works for you or not. Thanks!

https://www.rdklinc.com/tutorials/knv8UMTIIfQ
  • the procedure outlined in ur video is for imac apple,,in imac theres no room slots 2 add more memory,?
  • also is not easy to get under the logic board?
  • is there a easy way to unlock the firmware lock? ,please an thanks
  • in a few words,my system is almost new,some how it locked, and i broke the warranty seal, apple tech, say i need a new logic borad, here in uk,and that cost lots$, i dont mine to pay a resonble amount$,can u help please ,thanks,
  • If you take out a memory module, it's the same as putting one in. Take one out, reset the PRAM 3 times, and you should be in good shape. If that doesn't work, put it back in and immediately reset it 3 times. It's the change in memory that matters, not whether you are putting it in or taking it out. And the fact that you do the resets immediately afterward. If you have a PRAM password in place, there is no easier way -- that's the way you reset it. A PRAM password is intended to keep you from being able to unlock it, so it's difficult to do on purpose.

What are the last 3 digits of your serial number, so I can look up your machine?
  • ok i will try that thanks***
  • Apple 21.5-inch iMac (Aluminium silver) - (Intel Core i5 Quad-core 2.9GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, OS X Mountain Lion,,,,,,,,,still no luck, any thing else i can try ? thanks,
  • looks like i need a new logic board?
  • This may not work due to the password lock, but have you tried putting it in target mode so you can view the hard drive from another machine? Trying powering on holding down the "t" key. If you get a target mode symbol, connect your machine to another with a Firewire or Thunderbolt cable, and see if your hard drive appears on the desktop of the other machine. If it does, you can format it, reinstall the OS, etc.
  • i tought the lock was in the logic board?
  • From my perspective (not having the computer in front of me), I don't have confirmation that a PRAM lock is necessarily the issue. If you tried the PRAM/open firmware unlock procedure as shown in the video and it didn't help, it might not be a PRAM lock. When you say your firmware is locked, what is your evidence of this, i.e. what exactly are you seeing?

If you are able to put the computer in target mode, that would be further evidence that you might not actually have a lock, and at that point reformatting/reinstalling the drive in target mode from another laptop is the most logical step.
  • my macine is a apple imac desk top, all i have to connect to it a window 7 lap top? any thing i tryied so far it takes me to the firmware lock,pad lock?
  • The padlock does confirm that you have a password in place. If you tried the procedure in the video and it didn't work, unfortunately I don't know what to say. You might want to check out this thread in the link below.

From the thread, it appears some people have had success taking it to the Apple Store to get unlocked. Others have accidentally remotely set a password by using the Find My Mac feature in iCloud, in which case it's a 4-digit password. Someone else mentioned that you can change/remove the firmware password by booting from the Mountain Lion DVD and using a tool in the Utilities folder.

https://www.rdklinc.com/answers/discussion/comment/480#Comment_480
  • If you take out a memory module, it's the same as putting one in. Take one out, reset the PRAM 3 times, and you should be in good shape. If that doesn't work, put it back in and immediately reset it 3 times. It's the change in memory that matters, not whether you are putting it in or taking it out. And the fact that you do the resets immediately afterward. If you have a PRAMpassword in place, there is no easier way -- that's the way you reset it. A PRAM password is intended to keep you from being able to unlock it, so it's difficult to do on purpose.
  • Let me know the last 3 digits of the serial number in order to determine the exact iMac you have. As long as it's not a brand new iMac, you should still be able to use the procedure in the video at the top of this thread.