Black Macbook 1 (late 2006) recently encountered a wine spillage. Some keys stopped working next morning, I took it into a (non-apple) place locally for damage limitation, they cleaned it out, dried it and said it would need a new keyboard.
It carried on working with a few missing keys. Then one morning I shut it down, packed it up, took it on a trip in the car and when I next switched on, nothing happened. I tried resestting the SMC, nothing. At this time, the green power light would still show when the power adaptor was plugged in, and when a battery was also inserted, the adaptor showed orange and the battery showed charging on the green dots, until it was full and the adaptor light went green.
In the meantime, I bought Black Macbook 2 from ebay (don't know the year, might be 2008, the heat sinks are same as 1 (curvy - I been watching your v helpful yt vid
). It was advertised as not charging the battery, I assumed that I could use the working battery from 1 (had a similar problem with 1 a while back). When I picked up 2, the guy said the battery had just started to charge again, implying it wasn't the battery at fault. This was the case for the first few days, although sometimes the laptop said 'Not charging', sometimes it thought it had no battery, sometimes restarting set it charging again, and sometimes tapping the case near the charging point also did this. It hasn't charged anything for a few days now.
Then I found a cheap replacement keyboard (3) on ebay, so I got that for 1, hoping that would make it work and I could re-sell 2 (at the time I didn't want to take 2 apart at all, since it did actually work, now I've got used to it I'm swapping bits between them).
I've tried keyboards 2 and 3 in macbook 1 and it won't switch on. So now I've put the original keyboard back into 1. Then I re-inserted a battery into 1 and connected the power, the battery didn't start to charge. The adaptor only showed green (after a wait of many minutes) for batteries 1 and 2. BUT I pressed the power button and then either battery started to charge. I've repeated that process several times now, and it does the same every time.
I've got 2 power adaptors, and the behaviour of macbooks 1 and 2 doesn't change whichever I use, they both seem to work, so I've ruled them out. I've also tried both hard drives in 2, and they are both fine.
So, 1 is alive somewhere on the inside and charges batteries, and seems to get something from the keyboard although it won't switch on. What's the next best course for this? Would it still be charging the batteries if it was the logic board at fault?
2 is still confused. When I put the battery that came with 2 back in, the power adaptor is green, the indicator says 'Not charging' and the cycle count is 3, which is about what it would have done since I bought it (I have no battery life history from the previous owner other than that it 'started to charge again' the day before I bought it). When I put the battery from 1 in (which is fully charged) the status shows 100%, source is 'power adaptor', light is green, cycles are 40 (about right, I got it in August), and the laptop dies without the adaptor.
When I took the keyboard out, there was a metal part round the charger port top left which seemed to have moved, I popped it back into place hoping this would be the cause. It did charge a battery for a bit (first time in days), then it gave up and went back to the power adaptor on green, laptop goes dead as soon as I disconnect the adaptor. Is this the logic board or something or is it likely to be some simple connector that needs cleaning/replacing/wiggling?
As an extra, having started taking them all apart tonight, the logic board in 1 which was 'cleaned' does appear on close amateur inspection to have bits of gloop on it, maybe I should clean it myself?? Also I found a bit of metal wire just hanging about on top of the logic board (caught round the wires top left). It's a long rectangular C-shape, suspiciously slightly smaller than the (UK-shape) return key, which I'd popped off before I took it to the shop, as that was one of the keys that stopped working. They re-fitted the key. It might not be, i'm just saying... it's that kind of wire but maybe it could have come from somewhere...?
Sorry this is a long question, hope it makes sense and be grateful for any advice offered.