Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

iBook G4 won’t boot.

Hello Mr. Bumstead!

My recently acquired iBook G4 won’t boot, it doesn’t show anything(black screen) and there’s no boot chime. When the charger is plugged, it shows the charging indicator and charges the battery. When I press the power button, the DVD drive makes sound, then the hard drive spins and stops. And you can hear the fans spin if you get your head really closely. It does the same without battery… I have tried booting without the expandable ram and airport card and I’ve got the same results. I have disassembled it and there wasn’t anything missing. Any tips on what I can do to try to fix it?

Comments

• Hello! Thanks for the post!

Try a flashlight from the back through the Apple symbol and see if there's a faint image. Power on holding down the option key, which should put an icon on the center of the screen that you can look for with the flashlight.

Try resetting the PMU and PRAM -- PMU by holding in the power button while the computer is off until you see the power light flicker. And PRAM by powering on, then immediately holding down option-command-p-r until you hear the reboot chime a couple times. Sometimes the screen brightness is all the way down, and resetting PRAM restores it to the default level.

You should take out the RAM and Airport before testing. When testing, always reduce to the smallest possible number of elements.

Anyway, that's a place to start. Lemme know if you get anything. What speed G4 do you have, and what screen size?

Thanks,

John

• Hello again! Still nothing, still as dead as it was, it’s the 11 inch one, I don’t know what speed. There was no boot chime and there still isn’t. Thank you so much for the help and giving me some of your time, I guess that I’ll use it as a parts one or find a donor one to make one good…

• You mean the 12". If you pull back the keyboard, there is a sticker with processor speed.

Many iBooks have GPU issues, in which case the board is bad.