Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Lost firmware password

Hi! In a bit of a pickle.. was gifted a MacBook pro from my hilariously paranoid elderly father after he "lost" his firmware password and got fed up with Apple as they could not help him over the phone. I have tried to reset password in the terminal but am not having any luck.. any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi! Thanks for the post!

It all depends on which MacBook Pro you have. Let me know the year...if you don't know, I can look it up with the serial number, or you can look it up yourself at https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/. If it's 2011-ish or earlier, the issue can be resolved by following the procedure in this video:

If it's 2012 or newer, it can be reset, but it requires hardware tools to rewrite SMC chip, and frankly it's not worth investing in the hardware for just one computer. I would suggest searching eBay for "macbook pro password removal", and you will find a ton of people selling the service of removing the password -- you pay the $99 or whatever, then send the computer in, they remove the password, and send it back.

Hope that helps!

John